Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The 212 Workers Are Awful

Almost every time I'm on the line at 212, the surprisingly delicious sandwich place in Lerner, I'm forced to wait longer than I have to because of loafing employees.

Before you try to interrupt me - no, they aren't on "break." They'll literally be standing there doing absolutely nothing for one or two minutes until they suddenly say "Next," with an impatience so obnoxiously undeserved that I want to reach over the counter and smack them. Except I can't, because I would probably get myself a disciplinary hearing.

The ones who stand at the registers, staring blankly into space for minutes at a time until they decide they want to go back to work are bad enough. The worst, though, are the ones who hide behind the partition which separates the main area from the back area. They will peek out every so often, notice that there is a line, but stay back there chatting with their fellow workers about God knows what.

Now I have worked shitty jobs before. I have. But I WORKED at those shitty jobs. I didn't stand around talking about nails and god knows what.

The people at the Lerner Hall Mail Center are just as bad. Even though there's a line of 20 people, only one person will be working while the rest are just hanging out. They aren't oblivious to us, either. They know we're waiting and they let us wait.

Well I can't wait for the day when these people need surgery and all the Columbia-educated doctors are too busy playing grab ass to operate.

No comments: